Apologies if my post-tracking is not up to scratch.  I have been silently
grappling with  Java security policies on my own routine browser  Safari.  This
browser, including the  “Safari technology preview”, the latest version of
which was released only yesterday, still support the  browser plugin  API.

Each host does have to be individually enabled, and more than that  it has to
be set to run in  “safe mode” if Java requires read/write access from local
user directories. But having done that it is still supported, even in the
future-looking technology preview version. I have documented it here for our
own local use: https://wiki.ch.ic.ac.uk/wiki/index.php?title=It:jmol