Hi Henry,

I have a paragraph of Jmol history in footnote 1 here:

http://proteopedia.org/w/Jmol

Which leads to early history by searching for "jmol" at openscience.org:

http://openscience.org/?s=jmol

Much of Jmol's command language was invented by Roger Sayle when he created RasMol. Tim Maffet used Roger's public domain source code when he created the browser plug-in MDL Chime, which was the best within-browser solution from 1996 until Jmol superceded it ca. 2006. Thus, Chime included most of RasMol's command language. Michael "Miguel" Howard, who I believe first adapted Jmol to display macromolecules, incorporated the RasMol/Chime command language into Jmol, facilitating the transitions of RasMol and Chime users to Jmol. Of course Jmol's command language is now vastly larger and more powerful and complex than the languages of RasMol & Chime. But the original RasMol language is still a core subset.

Although far from complete, quite a bit of pre-Jmol history is here, including physical models and early computer graphics:

http://History.MolviZ.Org

-Eric