Thank you, Bob, Paul and Otis

The issue is not easy. Proteopedia has both JS and PHP code that allows
pages to be created by users. So no, I don't always know what is the name
of the particular JSmol object since it is not created manually; they have
sequential ids, but the key is that a scene script will be applied to any one
of
those jmolapplet1, 2, etc.

Local storage in the browser might be useful but I am not confident with that
technique.

We have now a solution that works, although a little convoluted it is fast.

I just wondered if there could be a read-only variable in Jmol script that
provides what the callbacks know how to provide, i.e. the object ID /applet
name.

Thanks