Am 22.07.17 um 10:04 schrieb João Palhoto Matos:
Hello!

I use jmol inside SageMath which I build from source. Currently this is
Sage 7.6 which comes with  jmol-14.6.1_2016.07.11 from which it uses
jsmol. When producing a 3d graphic one has the option of saving or
exporting files in various formats from a context menu. One of them is
PNG files, namely "export PNG image". The files produced in this manner
fail to pass testing with the pngcheck utility. Opening the file with
gimp and exporting to png format one ends up with a smaller file without
apparent image quality loss which is considered OK by pngcheck. Is this
intended behavior and the file getting some extra information, or some bug?

It is a special Jmol feature. As default, images saved in PNG format are actually saved in PNGJ format (see https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/#writeimagesandframes). This means everything needed to get back the 3D model in the representation shown in the image is included.

You can easily check this by opening the image in Jmol/JSmol.

This behaviour can be switched off by the command 'set imageState off' and back on by 'set imageState on'.

Regards,
Rolf