Hey everyone. I just had a chat with someone who came into irc and told me,
and I quote:

"I did take me three goes to figure out how to pause, not sure how intuitive
that is
(maybe should have read the manual but learned Audacity without reading it)"

I think that pretty much sums it all up. In practically all the video/audio
players embedded in browsers now, they use the play/pause button. Other
players do it too and I find it to be the most intuitive way to use a double
function button.
The whole point of using labels and icons for a button is indicating its
behavior. The current way, it's not clear enough that the play button has a
double function.
My suggestion is that we go ahead and change the label, icon and tooltip for
the button when it is in the toggled state.