Hey everyone,

I've posted a new blog about what I've been up to in the first official week of
coding.

I've pasted it below for ease of reading but you can find it in it's html glory
at : http://redache.wordpress.com/

So the Summer of Code has officially begun and I’ve been doing a few things
this week (as well as finishing my final exam(yay!)).

I’ve been working on writing a GStreamer source element for the MusicXML
generator that will allow me to send the generated MusicXML to a GStreamer
Pipeline. FIlesrc isn’t suitable as I don’t want to load the file every time I
want the MusicXML to play. I’ve been having a little difficulty getting the
Source Element to work as there isn’t much information on how the Python
GStreamer bindings are used in the context of creating elements. I found a post
on the Pitivi wiki that explains some of the basics but isn’t solely based on
Source Elements. I’ve been reading the C tutorials for GStreamer as well to try
and learn as much as I can about GStreamer and how it interacts with the
plugins, which should help me understand how to get things working better.

So most of this week has been spent reading Tutorials and Source Code for other
GStreamer Source Elements (like audiotestsrc) and trying to transfer those
concepts over to Python. I’m nearly finished with the Source Element I just
need to figure out how I can pass the data buffer back out into the pipeline,
which is the only part I’ve really had issue with. Hopefully I’ll get that done
as soon as possible and I can start working on integrating what I have so far
into the Jokosher code base and at some point soon starting on a basic UI.

Thanks for reading,
David Williams
Project: Extending Jokosher to include a Musical Notation Editor.