Azeem wrote:

> I have to point out that, despite the speculation that has been around,
there
> is not a shred of evidence that Al Qaeda were behind the bombing in Bali.
> This is not, of course, to say that they may turn out to be the culprits.
> However, at the moment, it is only true to say that *suspicion* has fallen
on
> Jemaah Islamiyah, a group *suspected* of having *indirect* links with
Osama
> bin Laden's al-Qaida group.

I've read several news articles today (AP, Reuters) that has Indonesian
government sources saying it is Al Qaeda with the help of the local
terrorists.  That makes more sense than local terrorist groups alone blowing
up and murdering tourists and destroying the economy of one of the jewels in
Indonesia's crown - unless they want to get a hit in at the Hindu majority
there, too.  Here is an Associated Press story:

Indonesia Blames al-Qaida for Blast
Mon Oct 14, 5:03 PM ET
By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer

Indonesia's government, reeling from a bomb attack that killed at least 180
people, acknowledged for the first time Monday that al-Qaida is active on
its soil - setting the stage for a possible crackdown on extremists.

Stocks plummeted in the capital Jakarta, and markets sank elsewhere in
Southeast Asia as tourists fled the country, already one of the region's
most fragile economies.

But many Americans said they were planning to stay, contrary to State
Department advice and despite warnings U.S. interests could be the next
targets.

The car bomb Saturday at a nightclub packed with foreigners on this resort
island is likely to harm more than just the economy and tourism. Since the
Sept. 11 attacks, and despite U.S. pressure and the discovery of an
al-Qaida-linked terror network in neighboring Singapore and Malaysia,
Indonesia has insisted there is no threat of violent extremism on its soil.

The turnaround came after a Cabinet meeting in Jakarta Monday, when Defense
Minister Matori Abdul Djalil said: "We are sure al-Qaida is here."

"The Bali bomb blast is linked to al-Qaida with the cooperation of local
terrorists," he said.

President Megawati Sukarnoputri is likely to face growing demands to arrest
high-profile suspects whose continued freedom has astounded law enforcement
officials in other countries. Whether she can do so without provoking
extremists - and possible further attacks - is an open question.

In Washington, President Bush (news - web sites) had strong words for the
Indonesian leader, saying he planned to talk to her about the need to crack
down on terrorism.

"I hope I hear the resolve of a leader who recognizes that any time
terrorists take hold in a country it's going to weaken the country itself,"
Bush said.

"And there has to be a firm and deliberate desire to find out - find the
killers before they kill somebody else," he said.

Security Minister Bambang Susilo Yudoyono said there were signs terrorists
were planning attacks against industrial sites, including ExxonMobil's Arun
liquefied natural gas plant in Aceh and the Caltex refinery in Sumatra.

"We will increase the security alert in those areas," Yudoyono said.

On Bali, there was no visible evidence of a higher security presence or
stricter controls at the airport, though police insisted an elite unit had
been deployed.

The FBI (news - web sites) and Australian detectives joined the hunt for the
killers. Investigators from Scotland Yard were on the way, and Germany said
it might send experts.

Bali police said 27 witnesses had been questioned.

Suspicion has fallen on Jemaah Islamiyah, a group that Singapore says is
based in Indonesia and is linked to Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s
terror network. But the group's leader denied involvement.

"All the allegations against me are groundless. I challenge them to prove
anything," Abu Bakar Bashir said. "I suspect that the bombing was engineered
by the United States and its allies to justify allegations that Indonesia is
a base for terrorists."

Indonesia has refused to arrest Bashir, saying he has committed no crimes
and that an anti-terrorism law has not been passed by Parliament.

Underlying the reluctance is a fear that arresting Bashir could provoke a
backlash against the nascent democracy in the world's most populous Muslim
nation, and that providing the military wider powers to deal with terrorism
could herald a return of human rights abuses.

Malaysia and Singapore have jailed scores of suspected Jemaah Islamiyah
members accused of plotting to bomb the U.S. Embassy and other Western
targets. The group has carried out bombings in the Philippines.

Jemaah Islamiyah is believed to have four tons of ammonium nitrate, a
chemical used to make the Oklahoma City truck bomb, purchased by a suspected
Malaysian member who the Malaysian government says allowed two of the Sept.
11 hijackers to use his apartment in 2000.

The U.S. Embassy ordered all nonessential staff and dependents to leave
Indonesia, and said other Americans in Indonesia should consider leaving. Up
to 20,000 Americans are believed to be in Indonesia, although few are
permanent residents. Many are employees of U.S. energy companies, which have
extensive interests in the resource-rich nation.

Foreign countries compiled rising tolls of their citizens killed in the
bombings, while volunteers at a hospital-turned-morgue piled ice on bodies
and loaded others into refrigerated containers to slow decomposition in the
tropical heat.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, whose countrymen are believed
to top the death list, arrived on Bali on Monday. The bombings may be the
work of al-Qaida and its allies, he said, but he stopped short of calling
for Bashir's arrest.

"We want the investigation to be concluded successfully ... rather than
getting into personal details of groups like Jemaah Islamiyah," Downer said.

A pair of explosions, one from a car bomb, tore through a maze of bars,
restaurants and nightclubs Saturday night at Kuta Beach, a haunt for surfers
and young vacationers. The open-air Sari Club was turned into an inferno.
Little remained of it Monday except a huge hole.

Government officials said 181 people died, although hospital workers put the
total at 190. More than 300 people were injured.

Hundreds of wounded Australians were flown home Monday but two died en
route.

Balinese officials said that only 39 positive identifications had been
made - 15 Australians, eight Britons, five Singaporeans, six Indonesians,
one German, one French citizen, one Dutch citizen, one New Zealander and one
Ecuadorean.

Two Americans were killed and four injured, the U.S. State Department said.
In London, the government said that at least 30 Britons died. Switzerland
believed two of its citizens were among the dead.

Bali's international airport was filled with stunned vacationers desperately
looking for flights home.

But planes also brought people to Bali, including relatives coming to
console heartbroken family members and friends and to join the agonizing
wait for missing loved ones to be identified.

"It's been hell," said David Byron, an Australian. His 14-year-old daughter,
Chloe, was with schoolmates when the Sari Club exploded in flames. "But I'm
taking her home. I don't care what is left."

The normally crowded beaches were largely empty Monday. At sunset, about 300
people, mostly longtime foreign residents, gathered on the beach for a
religious ceremony, joined their hands in a circle and prayed.

"We all thought Bali was immune and sacred and protected," said an American
woman, identifying herself only as Atta, who lost two friends in the attack.
"This is the work of outsiders."

Reply via email to