OK, I've found that commenting the lines

        field.setName("span");
        field.setNamespace(this.ns.getTEXT());

in
org.jopendocument.dom.template.engine.Processor.replaceField(Element)
preserves the fields while inserting the text. Since I need both
behaviors from the library, I'll have to figure out how to flag such
behavior or create separate classes.