On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>   I have been approached by someone from Estonia. Apparently they have
> their own parametrized Lambert projection for official data there, and
> someone has written a JOSM projection class to use that projection in JOSM.
>
> I wonder whether we should continue to augment JOSM with special
> projections like this - it's not a big deal really, just one class and
> an extra option in the Projection dropdown - or whether it would be
> better to use the plugin infrastructure for this so that everyone can
> load their preferred projection as a plugin.
>
> Any opinions on the matter?

Whereas I have nothing against plugins for that I would encourage to have
such central stuff in the central core. Plugins should be only for testing
new projections.

On the other hand using a projection library would be a good idea :-) We
already had this topic. Maybe we could add proj.4 as plugin? I myself have
no problems with the wording "certain features are only available under
UNIX operating systems" as long as we provide base features for all OS.

Ciao