On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Henrik Niehaus wrote:

> could you give small summary how this tanslation system works? Does the
> system extract untranslated strings from the code and add them in

Yes.

> launchpad? If this is the case, when is this done and when will
> translated strings be merged back to josm?

In i18n directory the scripts do that work. These updates will be done as
soon as I start them :-). Launchpad is only the plattform for the work of
translators.

You actually can enter new translations yourself:
a) Enter them in SVN directly - not recommended, as this make me much more
work when syncing.
b) Update launchpad translations (I.E. make a new josm.pot and upload it
to launchpad) and later translate the texts.

Note, that the translations will not be activated until checked in into
JOSM SVN. Locally you can build your own translated version inbetween
thought.

Ciao