On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Dave Hansen <d...@sr71.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 08:36 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I have wondered about hooking up postgis to josm as a working data
>> storage format, so you can use spatial queries and indexes.  That's got
>> a lot of downsides, but I wonder about it being an optional setup for
>> those working with big datasets.
>
> It's an interesting idea, but I don't know enough about postgis to give
> you an intelligent answer.

PostGIS can be used as a backend for other GIS programs such as
ArcGIS. So I think any potential troubles in this regard would have
more to do with what sort of requirements JOSM makes of its data model
than PostGIS limitations.

Such an integration could bring some very neat features. Like being
able to view the whole planet in JOSM with PostGIS on the backend with
JOSM only requesting the data that it needed to display at any one
time. With other operations such as search being (optionally) global.