Hi Marko

To the best of my knowlege there is no such function yet  ...

 > As a further development, it could be useful to create a selective
download function (follow this way until reaching a branch or a given
bounding box).
... except for this function which sounds like what the waydownloader
plugin provides.

Selection is a core thing. You can use it from plugins in three ways.
(1) you can influence the current selection. See setSelected() on
DataSet. Invoke it on the current data layer (Main.main.getEditLayer())
(2) you can get the current selection. See getSelected() on DataSet.
Invoke it on the current data layer (Main.main.getEditLayer())
(3) you can listen to the current selection. See
org.openstreetmap.josm.data.osm.event.SelectionEventManager

Regards
Karl