[posted to both talk-gb and josm-dev]

I'm a bit exasperated to see that the relation for National Cycle
Network route 4 has been broken _yet_ again:

        http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/2204
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/2204/720

NCN 4 does of course have a pivotal place in popularising relations
within OSM. :)

Regular readers of talk-gb will recognise this as a frequent occurrence:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2010-February/005350.html

It appears to happen with (old versions of?) JOSM:

        http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/3858883 (r2561)
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/4126873 (r2943)

I don't want to get into an editor argument over this and I do recognise
that the JOSM developers can't automatically push new versions to users,
as Potlatch does. Nonetheless there is clearly an issue here.

Could someone with more familiarity with JOSM than me confirm that this
is no longer easy with current versions, and assuming that's the case,
how do we get people to stop using old versions?

cheers
Richard