Josh Doe wrote:
I'm back to working on a UI for performing conflation as I've
mentioned on this list before. Right now I've got a series of tabs,
the first allows the user to freeze/restore two selections ("Mine" and
"Theirs"), the next configures the matching options, and the third
presents the results.

The results are the most important, and what I'm thinking about doing
is having a table which shows the matched pairs, including the
distance between them, and then below that table reusing the TagMerger
panel. The user can select any row (matched pair) in the list, and the
tags will then be shown to be merged below. Some enhancements could
include a popup/context menu to allow applying the same operation to a
selection of pairs, with options like "My Tags, My Geometry", "My
Tags, Their Geometry", "Their Tags, My Geometry", and "Their Tags,
Their Geometry".

Is reusing the TagMerger panel good practice? I think the only thing I
don't like is the "local dataset"/"server dataset" labels, but if
that's the only issue it's not worth maintaining a nearly identical
copy.

Two reasons why I don't want to use the existing conflict dialogs is
because sometimes I'll be merging disparate primitive types (e.g. a
node with a way), and also the current system is not suitable for
rapidly moving through hundreds of conflicts.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

When in doubt, just copy & paste. The code can still be refactored and unified
later.
For small changes, like the text label, you can send us a patch that adds:

protected String getLocalDatasetText() {
  return tr("local dataset");
}

then, override this method in your plugin. (But within reason, the code
shouldn't get too cluttered.)

There hasn't been much development related to conflicts lately. So if you can
help to add batch resolution of conflicts, I'm probably not the only one who
would be very grateful.

Paul