Hi,

On 11.07.2012 18:13, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
The dialog already says:

----
The following are results of automatic validation. Try fixing these, but
be careful (don't destroy valid data).

When in doubt ignore them.

----

I think that, for a newbie, the "when in doubt, ignore them" line can be dwarfed if there's a large number of warnings and errors.

The idea behind this is that users actually fix these issues. When we no
longer display them, then they wont get fixed at all. The system has
already been tuned a lot,

Exactly. This is what the newbie will think as well: "The system has been tuned a lot, this editor is used by thousands of mappers every day, so it MUST BE RIGHT and I am responsible for all these bugs! Oh dear!"

so that the warnings and errors have few false
positives and information level is disabled in default.

We're not talking about false positives. We're talking about things that are indeed problems that need to be fixed, but we're showing them to the wrong person - someone who lacks the necessary time or first-hand information to fix them.

As programmer I say an error is an error and it makes no sense to divide
it into "my" error and "your" error.

Oh yes it does. Because if you have made a change that *causes* a problem, and then a message discourages you from uploading at all, then that's not too bad. But if you make a change that just happens to lead to *unrelated* problems being highlighted, and you then decide to rather not upload your change, then this is a loss for OSM.

And a beginner getting "tons" of errors also touched "tons" of objects
which probably is no good idea at all when you don't know what you do...

Is it not possible to touch one large object which has e.g. 20 level crossings with other ways and then get 20 warnings just because you added a tag to that one big thing? At least that's what the guy on talk-us claimed.

Bye
Frederik