On Mon, 18 Mar 2013, Ian Dees wrote:

Why does JOSM rely on a database-driven wiki at all? It's great that you
use trac and the wiki for project management, but the stuff that JOSM loads
is all relatively static, right? The imagery, presets, styles, and front
page documents all change infrequently and could be served as static files

Some of these are pregenerated files (thought delivered dynamically, like maps, presets, styles, plugins, ...). Others are dynamic and usually for good reason. Others are plain static (like e.g. the downloads, icons, ...).

There is little we can gain by optimizing this further. What creates a lot of load are necessary database accesses and sometimes large results. Reducing them would reduce the service of JOSM. As long as we get the required server power there is no need to restrict service.

somewhere so you don't require database actions every time someone starts
JOSM.

Actually the amount of connects by JOSM itself can be ignored compared to the web spiders, SPAM bots, hacker attempts and all the other things accessing a webpage nowadays. And the wiki, ticket and svn stuff is pretty dynamic.

If only real users would access the webpage we would have less trouble. Blocking stuff for spiders on the other hand is also no good idea, as web search engines like Google are the main entrypoint to the pages (f.e. we have pretty good clicktrough rates with Google.) To have good performance for the users there must be a lot performance left to serve all the others.

I don't have a problem with the fact that the server has to do lots of work. It shows that JOSM is nowhere near beeing a dead project. :)

Ciao