> Where double-clicking a shortcut or the downloaded JOSM .jar file, itself,
> immediately opened JOSM, I am now presented with “How do you want to open
> this file (.jar)?”  I believe I am the cause by disabling the Java plugin
> when I was having difficulties with my Windows 8 PC.  I made a note at the
> time that I had disabled the following: Java ™ (2 files) Version
> 10.60.2.19  NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java ™ Deploy.  Now, when
> I visit ‘chrome://plugins’ nothing relating to Java is present.  Java 7
> Update 67 is installed on my PC.  The Java Control Panel that should be at
> C://Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jcpl.exe is missing, however.  I
> wonder whether this causes the problem.  I should welcome advice that will
> permit me to resume editing.

don't know the details on windows, but generally you need a JRE (Java
runtime environment) to run java apps on the desktop, so you shouldn't
remove/deactivate this if you want to run java applications (like e.g.
JOSM). But you do not need the java browser plugin (comes often coupled
with the JRE in the installer, but you can disactivate/not install it). The
latter has nothing to do with javascript and it is often recommended to not
install it, or require manual confirmation before running to reduce
security risks.

cheers,
Martin