On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Paul Woelfel wrote:

If OSM stays with the startssl certificate, we could implement a
TrustManager which first checks the default Trust store and then a JOSM
custom one including the StartSSL certificate.

There are samples out there, which can be used as a basic guideline.
http://nelenkov.blogspot.co.at/2011/12/using-custom-certificate-trust-store-on.html

If you wish, I can create the sample code and we discuss, if we should go
with that workaround.

I think it's worth a try. If you can supply a patch as josm-ticket this would be fine.

But I fear that this will lead to a lot of trouble if I compare it with the idea to implement proper IPv6 support and the required "we dig into the code everywhere to implement another resolving strategy".

I'd prefer if OSM does not use StartSSL for the domains JOSM accesses.

Ciao