On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Simon Poole wrote:

Sorry for jumping in late and likely breaking the threading.

This thread actually can need some more opions.

But there is one area were some coordination should be far easier and
give some immediate gains: using the same natural language term for the
same OSM object. Just so that it is clear, I'm not referring to key and
tag values here, which IMHO are not far away from simply being random
values that we attach a meaning by how we use them, not what the actual
words mean.

The above would be a gain both in the original English and translations.
Having this would make it far easier to switch between editors and
hopefully we could avoid literal translation of keys and values that I
have seen now and then with iD, which doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't know the situation for iD, but for JOSM the fact that we have lots of translations results in nearly no peer review (we are happy when we actually get translations at all). The result is that the translations aren't a common united work, but more or less a patchwork. This can only be solved by more eyes looking at it, but attracting translators is a complicated job. E.g. we failed to attract French translators, the third most important language of JOSM, so that french is still at place 12 of translation efforts (behind Catalan on place 6!).

So while JOSM may not benefit as much as iD from joined efforts (simply because of the number of strings involved :-) I still think anything which makes translators life easier is a good idea. The less work they have with the basic tasks the more work they can spend in improving the quality.

And only very few translators actually tell us about improvements or errors in the original texts, so that very likely there is a lot room for improvement.

Ciao