On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 02:03:57PM +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>
> >Currently josm tries to be clever and either does v6 or v4 and tries
> >to detect whether the host is v6 enabled. This is broken by design.
> >You cant detect whether you will be able to issue v6 connections
> >until you try. There are v6 blackholes in the internet, there is
> >intermittet connectivity, there are ULA prefixes which is just an v6
> >island whathever. Its the INTERNET - Everything is built on a "best
> >effort" base. It may work - it may also not. IPv6 put the responsibility
>
> That's nonsense. If you extend the meaning of "best effort" to "it
> may work or not" then it's ok when a provider only delivers data to
> half of the world? Well, why pay money for devlivery the other half?

Welcome to my world. I have been dealing with issues like that
for 20 Years ... Upstream providers depeering other Tier 1s because
of business issues and the regional ISPs looking for alternative paths.

> A network access which has permanent connectivity issues is broken!

As a residential customer this might be the case. Not in the ISP
world. There are legions of people worldwide trying their
best to keep the net working. Tuning paths that the residential
customer paying 9.95€ does not see the packet loss occuring
on the opposite site of the world.

This was always in the commercial ages of the internet for like
decades. When i started my own ISP Business in the very early 90ies
we had the issues with DFN and all others. It went that far
that XLink had its last hop toward dfn added a PTR

        1.2.3.4 IN PTR ab.hier.wirds.langsam.weil.dfn.de

> If you go into the future you will have IPv6 only. No IPv4 fallback.
> And it has to work. Yes - we currently have a chance to try again
> with IPv4 and JOSM doesn't use that chance. Well, JOSM doesn't do
> many other things as well.

IPv4 will not go away. It will stay with us for at least 30 years.
Remember that there are billions of devices deployed world wide
which dont have the flash codespace to support ipv6.

The access technology will change. Today we have Dualstack. Cable
operators have switched to DS Light tunneling ipv4 via ipv6 (Kabel
Deutschland). Most likely the Cell providers will do DS Light
aswell as their pricing/capacity is build around the number of
datapipes and v4 and v6 are seperated.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de
      We need to self-defend - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!