Hi,

Which style are you using?

MapCSS styles can be pretty fast. It depends on the style you used how
fast it really is. You can use --trace to display the rendering times
(style preparation and actual drawing)

Some things to keep in mind for style performance:
- [key=value] selectors use a fast lookup. Use them as much as you can.
- [key] selectors (and other selectors requiring the presence of a key)
are only taken into account for that single key.
- * selectors are very expensive.
- Avoid complex expressions

Style computation is cached. The most dominant work is to actually paint
the image. Those are things you should avoid:
- Dashed lines
- Texts, especially texts on ways
- Icons
- Multiple draw passes per element (outlines, ...)

So you should get MapCSS drawing pretty fast by creating your own style.

Michael

PS: In my opinion, we should even remove the wireframe mode. MapCSS can
handle those simple things almost as fast as the current wireframe
implementation.