Hi, we're working on an import (long announced and documented) of buildings in the area - I'm working with Windows with no problem -Xmx4096M , and Ubuntu with no problem. Another mapper helping with the import is experiencing a problem in which the JOSM / java grabs a huge amount of memory such as 11-15G of RAM when editing or uploading a file consisting of 10K - 15K nodes / 3K buildings which brings the computer to a standstill since the computer only has 8G of RAM.

What kinds of things could cause this problem, and what are some tips that might point us in the right direction?

  Thanks, system info follows.
 System configuration:

8G physical RAM
JOSM 13500

Only Mapillary plugin

Java 1.8.0_151
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.17.10.2-b12)

Distro: POP OS https://system76.com/pop