Vincent
I have had my 64-bit PC since 2013, about which I keep a log of all events.
Several notes mention installing 32-bit Java.  I believe I misunderstood the
instructions that recommended it should be installed on 64-bit machines under
certain circumstances.  JOSM operated well, nevertheless, until a year ago,
when I encountered the lack of memory issue first.
I uninstalled Java 8u191, downloaded its 64-bit equivalent and installed it.  I
am delighted to report everything has returned to normal.
I began using JOSM in 2008, following the purchase of my first GPSr.  I sing
its praises at every opportunity and continue to obtain great pleasure from
using it.
I thank you for determining the solution to this setback.  Hurrah! for mailing
lists and forums.
With regards
Bob Hawkins

---