February 9, 2003
St. Miguel  Febres  Cordero
Confessor...(1854 -1910)      Life:
   Francisco   was  the  baptismal  name  of  our  saint  who  was  born  on  November
7, 1854 at  Cuenca,Ecuador. Born with a  painful  handicap  of  his  feet , he was
unable to stand until age five when he received a vision of Our Lady. At age eight he
was miraculously protected from being mauled by a wild bull. In 1863, at age nine, he
enrolled in a school run by the Christian Brothers, which Order had only recently come
to Ecuador. Joined the Brothers at age 15. In  fact  he  was  the  first  latin
American  brother  to  make  perpetual  vows  in  the  congregation.

School teacher at El Cebollar School, Quito, a position he held for 32 years. A
gentle, dedicated, and enthusiastic teacher. Wrote his own textbooks,  some were
adopted by the government, and used throughout the country. Wrote odes, hymns,
discourses on teaching methods, plays, inspirational works, and retreat manuals.
Elected to the Ecuadoran Academy of Letters in 1892, followed soon after by the
Academies of Spain, France, and Venezuela. Conducted religious retreats, and prepared
children for their First Communion. While  in  spain, during  the  anticlerical
revolution,  Brother  Miguel  saved  the  Sacred  hosts  from  profanation  which
meant  walking  8  miles  with  poor  feet.Novice director for his house from 1901 to
1904.

Sent to Europe in 1905 to translate texts from French to Spanish for use by the Order;
worked primarily in Belgium.
    he died on  9 February 1910 of pneumonina at Premia del Mar, Spain, and buried
there; grave disturbed during the Spanish Civil War, and his body found incorrupt;
re-buried in Quito, Ecuador, his tomb has become a pilgrimage site
   . In addition to being a religious role model, Miguel is considered a national hero
in Ecuador for his success in so many worthwhile areas.
       He  was  canonized  by  Pope  John  Paul II  on  October  21,  1984.
COMMENT:
                         People  await  to  find  situations,  areas  for   doing
something  for  God&  to  be  used  by  Him  as  an  instrument. Our  lives  on  this
earth  will  become  a  successful  & fruitful  only  when  we  accomplish  the  will
of  our    Creator  in   each  of  our  acts.Once  our  saint  expressed  *I  give
myself  completely    to  Jesus  so  that  He  can  just   use  me  as  He  wishes.I
want  every  word I  write,  everything  I  read ,  everything  I  do  at  my  desk
and  all  my  work  in  school  to  be  done  for  the  glory  of  God.*
   REFLECTION:
   The heart is rich when it is content, and it is always content when its desires are
fixed on God.

-Saint Miguel