28TH   FEBRUARY  2003

ST. HILARIUS

POPE  CONFESSOR(---468)

 LIFE:

           He was born in Sardinia, Italy, and was a papal legate to the Robber
Council of Ephesus in 449,reporting  on the Monophysitism heresies of Eutyches, which
denied the humanity of Christ and claimed he had only a divine nature, and teaching
condemned in 451 by the Council of Chalcedon. And  he  insisted  upon  the  rights  of
 the  Holy  see.

 Hilary was used by Pope St. Leo I the Great on many assignments. When Leo died,
Hilary was elected pope and consecrated on November 19,461. He worked diligently to
strengthen the Church in France and Spain, calling councils in 462 and 465. Hilary
also rebuilt many Roman churches and erected the chapel of St. John Lateran. He also
publicly rebuked Emperor Anthemius in St. Peters for supporting the Macedonian heresy
and sent a decree to the Eastern bishops validating the decisions of the General
Councils of Nicaea, Ephesus, and Chalcedon. Hilary consolidated the Church in Sandi,
Africa, and Gaul.

 Renowned for defending the rights of his bishops while exhorting them to curb their
excesses and devote themselves more completely to God. Helped define the Church's role
in the empire, and affirmed the position of the pope, and not the emperor, as leader
in spiritual matters.   He died in Rome on February 28.

REFLECTION:

                 I  command  you  to  preach  the   message, to  insist  upon
proclaiming  it,  whether   the  time  is  right  or  not;  to   convince,  reproach,
and  encourage,  as  you  teach  with  all   patience*  ( 2 Tim.4:2)

comment:

***In  Apostolic  work   ,  there  can be  no  forgiveness  for  disobedience, nor
for  insincerity .Remember,  simplicity  is  not   imprudencs,  nor  indiscretion.***(
ST.JOSEMARIA)

Oh!  sweet  Eucharist  ! &   beloved  Mother     keep  me  as  thy  own.....
S.THOMAS
  NOTTINGHAM
  ENGLAND