The first day of class our professor introduced himself and challenged
us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look
around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find
a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up
her entire being. She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I'm
eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?" I laughed and
enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" And she gave me a
giant squeeze. "Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?"
I asked. She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get
married, have a couple of children, and then retire and travel." "No
seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be
taking on this challenge at her age."I always dreamed of having a
college education and now I'm getting one!" she told me. After class we
walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake.
We became instant friends. Everyday for the next three months we would
leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized
listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and
experience with me. Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus
icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress
up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other
students. She was living it up. At the end of the semester we invited
Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she
taught us...... She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she
began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped all of her 3 x 5 note
cards. Frustrated, and a little embarrassed, she leaned into the
microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer
for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back
in order, so let me just tell you what I know." As we laughed she
cleared her throat and began.... "We do not stop playing because we are
old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets
to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh
and find humor everyday. You've got to have dream. When you lose your
dreams, you die. We have so many people alking around who are dead and
don't even know it! There is a huge difference between growing older
and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one
full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years
old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never

do anything I will turn eighty-eight. Anybody can grow older. That
doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always
finding the opportunity in change. Have no regrets. The elderly rarely
have regrets for the things we did, but rather for things we did not do.

The only people who fear death are those with regrets. She concluded her

speech singing "The Rose." She challenged each of us to study the
lyrics. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had
begun all those years ago. One week after graduation, Rose died
peacefully in her sleep. Over two thousand college students attended
her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example
that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be. hen you finish
reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends
and family. They'll really enjoy it! These words have been passed along
in loving memory of ROSE.

REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.
Tonight, before you go to bed, give your problems to God. He will be up
all night anyway.

THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
ADDRESSEE and may contain confidential and privileged information. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this
communication is strictly Prohibited. If you have received this message
by error, please notify us immediately, return the original mail to the
sender and delete the message from your system.