Friday, March 26, 2004

Being Useful

Read: Luke 3:21-22

A voice came from heaven which said, "You are My beloved Son; in You I am
well pleased." -- Luke 3:22

Bible in One Year: Joshua 22-24; Luke 3

Jesus emerged from obscurity and was baptized by John the Baptist. When He
came out of the water, He heard His Father say, "You are My beloved Son; in
You I am well pleased" (Luke 3:22).

What had Jesus been doing that merited such unqualified acceptance? He had
not yet performed one miracle; He had not preached a single sermon; He had
not cleansed one leper. In fact, He had not yet done anything that we
normally associate with greatness. What had He been doing in Nazareth
during those 30 silent years? He was growing "in wisdom and stature, and in
favour with God and men" (2:52).

What's done in the silent place with God is what matters. It's in the quiet
hours of fellowship with God that we're shaped and moulded and made into
men and women He can use -- people with whom He can be well-pleased.

You might be thinking, I'm in a place where I can't be useful. You may feel
limited and frustrated by the cramping restrictions of age, an illness, a
difficult child, an uncooperative spouse. But your place, wherever it is,
is a place to grow. Spend time in God's Word and in prayer. Grow and bloom
where you are, and your Father will be pleased with you. -- David Roper

You'll go forth a little stronger
With a fresh supply of grace,
If each day you meet the Savior
In a secret, quiet place. -- Adams

Fruitful service grows in the soil of faithful worship.