No, that's expected. removeClass() was re-worked such that
.removeClass("one") would remove one class, .removeClass("one two")
would remove two classes, and .removeClass() would remove all classes.
This is very similar to how .unbind() works (if you call it with no
arguments, it removes all bound events).

Although, I'm not sure if you're differentiating between
.removeClass("") and .removeClass(). If  that's the case, then it is
possible that the first one should, in fact, remove no classes. (Since
the method is being called with an argument.)

--John