What about something like:

$(a).hoverIntent( handleMouseOver , function(){} )

$(b).hover( function(){} , handleMouseOut )

You'd get the graze protection from hoverIntent and the mouseOut on another
object. It's a little wasteful using empty functions like that... but it
might help. In this case, it might be better to create an empty function and
reference it twice.... but I'm not sure if there'd be any perceivable
savings. Oh, and you'd have to throw an if statement in your handleMouseOut
function that prevented it from doing anything if your menu was already in
the closed position (in case handleMouseOver hadn't fired).

It isn't ideal, but this might get you a little closer to an acceptable
animation/interaction.

Brian.