On 5/25/07, Alexandre Plennevaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chris W. Parker
Sent: vendredi 25 mai 2007 16:57
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: Masked Input Field

On Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:36 AM Jörn Zaefferer <> said:

>> Although, security issues aside, I guess it could help to prevent
>> mistakes from your users. Would it make things easier for the user or
>> frustrating?
>>
> Clientside validation is all about usability.

A few points:

* Personally, I find it frustrating when applications (on the web)
automatically move my cursor from one box to another. Like when typing in
date and there are three boxes for month, day, and year. I type in 11,
press
<tab>, and type 24 to realize that I'm in the wrong box.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this masked input fields case since the
interface is a little different but I can't say for sure without testing
it.

Overall, I'm not very happy with applications that move my cursor around
for
me or select text automatically. Like when you click into a form field
(phpMyAdmin comes to mind) and all the text is automatically selected.

* Even though "clientside validation is all about usability" many people
don't understand this and still use it as a security measure.

Chris.

Ce message Envoi est certifié sans virus connu.
Analyse effectuée par AVG.
Version: 7.5.467 / Base de données virus: 269.8.0/817 - Date: 24/05/2007
16:01

A proper form architecture has many layers of usability and security.

  1. Server-side range/format/logic validation after submit, but also
  before submit using Ajax.
  2. Client-side JS to show errors onblur and help the user enter
  information properly.
  3. Maxlength on every field.
  4. Ordering a long selectbox based on likely entries being first.
  5. Etc etc etc.

A good form doesn't get in the users way, doesn't move the mouse in an
unexpected way, doesn't annoy the user.
A good form helps the user.  This takes alot of work and design.

With that said, there are exceptions to every rule.  With great power comes
great responsibility.

This topic is huge...maybe worth a book.  Form Design.

Glen