Things I would vote to increase the base size with:

  1. Dimensions http://jquery.com/plugins/project/dimensions (13k
  uncompressed / 3 packed)
  2. More selectors:
  http://www.softwareunity.com/sandbox/JQueryMoreSelectors/ (12k
  uncompressed / ? packed)
  3. Speed Improvements (Up to 10k additional?)

However, there is a name missing from this thread.  John Resig Esq.
It's his vision, and I think he will get the final say.  He has to answer
what it would take to reconsider the 20k ceiling.

For me, I think the base should be focused on enabling the end-developer AND
the plugin developer.  I think dimensions, and selectors are the meat and
potatoes of the base and should come with that out of the box.  Speed is
less critical for me, but I agree with the perception issue brought up
earlier.  It should be in the ballpark.

Who is good with surverymonkey.com or equivalent?  We need some data.

Glen

On 6/12/07, Su <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/12/07, Glen Lipka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This topic comes up every time a speed test emerges.  To me, speed is
> totally irrelevant in most circumstances that I use jQuery.

It does, and it is. That was why I tried to open the consideration out a
bit further to the eventuality of something more substantial running into
the filesize cap.

I'm of the opinion that the true goal is keeping the library (as) small
(as possible), except that "small" isn't a number, so an essentially
arbitrary one was chosen. And that's fine, otherwise "small" would
continually be open to interpretation. Some people say they'd allow up to 25
or 30k, you say up to 50, etc.

But I'm also curious to know that the limit isn't also arbitrarily
absolute. I'm interested what sort of thing it would take to bring about a
serious reconsideration of that limit, without even getting into discussion
of the numbers that would be involved. The differences shown in this test,
for example, don't seem likely to do it.