I seem to have found a solution to this - although I'm not sure why it
should work.

If I add the local host 127.0.0.1 to the Intranet site list of the IE7
Security tab, after deselecting "Automatically detect intranet" - it
overcomes the problem, both for pages running locally and also,
strangely, for websites that originally showed the same 10-15 sec
delay problem.

Can someone who knows a bit more about IE7 explain this one??

Nick