Well, that wasn't a good change to that function - just did it on the
fly while typing up that post - but when I made the change to the
actual JavaScript and realized my mistakes, it did not help.  Part of
the problem was that when I originally inspected event, it was not
showing the event that was passed, but must have been showing the
event object that's part of - what? - the DOM in IE?  Anyway, changing
it to myevent and then inspecting myevent reveals a different object
structure and it does not have a target property.  So there is
something a little more complex here.  Running Jörn's sample page
reveals that it does work (I don't get the error I'm getting on my
page), so perhaps I've taken out some code that is important (I cut
out code that related to input controls on his page that I was not
interested in and changed the names in his code to match the names in
my code).  Perhaps I've cut out something pertinent that did not seem
pertinent.