On Jul 18, 12:40 am, "Michael Geary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Very cool idea. Anything to get rid of confirmation dialogs!

i didn't come up with the idea myself (of course). There is/was some
mail client (can't remember which) which uses/used a similar idea when
you move a mail to the trash. After clicking the Delete button to move
a mail to the Trashcan, the button changes to Undo Delete until you
take another action, at which point it reverts back to a Delete
button. If you click Undo before doing anything else then you can undo
the delete. i never actually used the app, but read about that feature
in some UI design article a few years ago.

> I see one problem: Many people habitually double-click everything - links,
> buttons, you name it. If you double-click the button, the second click ends
> up confirming it.

That's an interesting point. i've been using KDE in single-click mode
for many years, so i haven't actually double-clicked anything since i
had (was forced) to use Windows some time in 2006... thus i didn't
consider the posibility that so many people double-click out of habit.
Once you get used to single-clicking everything, double-clicking
becomes tedious and seems downright barbaric.

Now that i think about it, i'm constantly saying to my g/f, "don't
DOUBLE-click those links! That causes two hits on the server!" as if
she might someday magically understand what i mean by that. :/

> You could avoid this by disabling the button for a second with a "Wait"
> label on it, and then re-enabling it with the confirm label. That might be a
> little annoying, but probably not too bad, and it would keep the
> double-clickers out of trouble.

That's a very good idea. A 500ms wait shouldn't be a big deal. i'll
take a look at how that might be made configurable. The only potential
problem i can think of with that is that it might require, as a
target, an element for which a disabled state is possible (e.g. a
button), whereas the current implementation can be applied to other
elements (in theory, any elements for which click() and html() are
valid).