Hi list,
i'm experimenting with jquery and xml.
I really can't understand the difference between $.ajax and $.get

If you bought the book 'learning jquery', for xml parsing they always
use, or suggest to use (in the examples, but i may wrong) the $.get
method to retrieve the contents of an xml file.

Why/*??*/ if i use $.get('http://www.corriere.it/rss/ultimora.xml',
function etcetera...) and try to access the 'item' text nothing
happens?

$(document).ready(function(){
        $('#news-feed').each(function(){
                $('this').empty();
                        $.get('ultimora.xml',function(data){
                                $('/rss//item').each(function(){
                                        var titolo = $('title', this).text();
                                        alert(titolo) NOTHING
HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                        })
                                })

                })

});

And WHY/*??!!*{}AAARGH*/ if i instead use such syntax it works?
$(document).ready(function(){
$(function() {
        $.ajax({
                type: "GET",
                url: "http://www.corriere.it/rss/ultimora.xml";,
                dataType: "xml",
                success: function(xmlData)
                {
                        xmlDataSet = xmlData;
                        browseXML();
                },
                    error: function(){
        alert('Errore nel caricamento del file XML');
        function browseXML(){
                entryLength=$("item",xmlDataSet).length;
                alert(entryLength) // this returns 20, it works!!!

Wich syntax do we have to use?
Can you please clarify me one time for all the differences between
those two methods?
It seems to me that the $.get method works for pretty simple XML file
but if your file have other nodes BEFORE item node, it fails.
Obviously i'm missimg something (i'm a total newbie) but WHAT?
Again, setting up r/c helicopters is easier ;-)
Cheers
GC