Yes, sorry I didn't phrase my post very well: there is a URL for the image,
of course, but I was trying to emphasise that there isn't a URL to an image
cached on the server's filesystem to pass back, as I don't want to
*permanently* cache the image (or implement a cleverer algorithm - there's
no need).
I simply want the cached image (or intermediates) to be temporary; the
user's session seems the obvious candidate for this type of storage to me.

--rob

http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2003/10/18/embedding
>  > but I am not sure it gets you anything.
>
> No, you haven't read my post carefully enough. I don't want the image's
> URL because the image *doesn't have* a URL - it's generated by a
> server-side script.

This cannot be. If you want to load the raw image data via Ajax, there
*must* be a URL.

But this URL could as well be used as src for the image given that the
server-side script sets the proper mime type.

--Klaus

--
Rob Desbois
Eml: [EMAIL PROTECTED]