I think this is a cool idea, but what is needed is an example so we can see
how valuable it is.

A nice example would show the slow way vs your sliced way and see how they
compare.

From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alexander Graef
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:22 PM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] [Off-Topic] CSS Combine Images

Normally for each image on a webpage a separate request to the webserver is
required, each taking as much as a hundred millisecond. Does not sound much,
but can add up fast.

There is an easy way to overcome this by combining images into one single
image and address the single images using CSS.

CSS for 1st image in row:

background-image : url(combined.png);

background-position : 0px -16px;

CSS for 2nd image in row:

background-image : url(combined.png);

background-position : 0px -32px;

I have been using this technique for some time now and always searched for a
tool that would help me combine those images easily, but never succeeded.
That is why I decided to build my own :)

This small tool allows you to choose an image directory and combine all png
images into one single image. Its still in its alpha stage and far from
feature complete ;)

Current restrictions:

- Only png images are allowed.

- Only one row.

- All source images must have the same size.

Planned features:

- Linux version

- Multiple rows

- Multiple source sizes

- Multiple input formats

- Image selection and sort options

- Drag & drop grid to place images

I am sure some of you might see some use for this.

Enjoy

Alexander

portalZINE(R)- innovation uncovered

 <http://www.portalzine.de> http://www.portalzine.de

dev.portalZINE(R) - all about development

 <http://dev.portalzine.de> http://dev.portalzine.de

pro.portalZINE(R) - customized experience

http://pro.portalzine.de