Howa,

Thank for the information.    I like this graded support chart in this
article.   Good example of someone applying software engineering
principles to Web development.

I guess the "good" thing is that the industry is maturing. Inevitably
there will be efforts to consolidate, to provide meaning and to give
guidance because truth be told, it is a "Freaking Mess" out there.

Theses are all reasons why for many years people went with one
vendor.  The "web" broke that, but if you think about, we are going
back to that one vendor or narrowing down the resouces that you use.
It happens to all, you, me, etc, to everything we do, to every
product, to every web site, to every team or lone wolf programmer out
there.

I did read a blog yesterday, and I probably misunderstood him but I
was taken aside by what he said because he had a damn good argument
about something that I can relate to and have come across many times
in many of my product development over the years.

Many products come to a point where you have to make a decision where
you totally revamp, start fresh, where "progressive enhancement"  may
not be a good idea.  I would venturre that the older the product is,
the more true this is.    While one might think that a migration or
phased design approach is a good idea to reach progressive
enchancement, it can actually make things worst in cost of
development, even adds complexity and the add to the development of
"Spaghetti Code."

Some have the luxury to do new things without contraints, some can not
afford that luxury and others can only afford to go slow at it, and by
afford I don't mean just cost, but you have customers that you can't
break the software and functionality on them.

For us, we are in a blend of this. We have a very dated system, yet
still have functionality and ideas that many are going to.  For the
web side,  this web 2.0 hangout for me is that effort to see how much
revamping we have to do.  Can we migrate smoothly?  Can we add more
Web 1.5 or 2.0 while keeping backward compatibility?   How much of the
server-side template processing will change, how much will be move to
the client?  The jQuery discovery has helped tremendously in this
effort.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input and yes, even an old dog can learn
new tricks or rather "commands." <g>

Thanks

--
HLS