Great job John!

I think you hit it on the nose on what was the primary focus -
optimization!

Questions:

Is this consided a beta, gamma or production release?  I ask because I
don't see it announce at jquery.com at the moment of this posting.

If there is still an window for improvements,  I have a number of
suggestions for the ajax system.  Best on my current knowledge of
jQuery,  one suggestion ideally calls for a small unobstrusive change
to the extensive $.ajax function itself.  I was currently working on
this when I was going to post a message about it, and I saw your
announcement.  While an override plugin would do, the .ajax() method
is the bulk of that logic and it doesn't seem feasible to replace that
function for one small 1-2 line change. The other suggestions are
small enough to be plugins but it requires the change to the .ajax()
method.

Thanks!

--
HLS