Thanks for the reply Wizzud, I think your probably right about why the width
is out by a pixel.  Wrapping the image and paragraph in  a div did't work
but it did lead to me figuring out a workaround.

What I did was wrap the anchor, image and paragraph in a div, then instead
of jQuery setting the paragraphs width I made it set the wrapping div's
width and added 18 to that value.  Then with CSS set the wrapping divs
background colour to white.  So now the over sized div is now the white
border and background of the paragraph.

Don't know if that explanation of what I did made any sense what so ever, if
it didn't and you want me to try and explain it again let me know.

Thanks for all the help :D
b0b0dgz