I agree that people like the animation effects. I'm all for them. The problem is that if a menu/header is still in the opening animation process and the mouse is moved to a new menu/header item the new menu doesn't open at all - no matter how long one waits. That to me is a bug.

Erin

In the real world, things dont always happen instantly.

A sliding door (like on Star Trek) opens with a whoosh. I am sure they "could" have built a door "shield" that was opened instantly rather than a whooshing door. Especially with their futuristic technology. However, people like the whoosh. It's possible to have it too long, like whooooooooooooooooooooooooosh. In which case you bump into the door with your nose ( i.e. Supermarket Doors) or "whsh" in which case it feels like the "power" it turned up too high, which is jarring.

The perfect effect is timed to the Goldilocks principle. Not too quick, not too slow, not the instant the user puts their mouseover, not waiting too long to fire, not too much bounce, not too robot-like. It should be "just-right".

Glen