I understand people want to use the latest version of jQuery and plugins for all of their projects but i don't think it's possible. Projects have deadlines so sometimes you have to use the things that are available at the time and i don't see anyone changing a projects code just because a new version of jQuery or a plugin has been released.

As far as jQuery is concerned i would rather see a table of methods and selectors that are available for each version so it can be used as a cheatsheet for projects that use another version than the latest.

For the plugins i guess most developers already announce which jQuery version they used and which browsers they tested it on. I would suggest to do this for all the versions of their plugin(s). That way you know if a browser isn't mentioned or the jQuery version you use is newer or older you are a tester.

I know it's not entirely an aswer on your idea about the community tool but there was another similar thread about plugins and i don't get why people who use plugins are so tough on the developers. All developers doing their best to release the best plugin using their workflow and skills. Back on topic. Not all developers put their plugins in the repository, sometimes they only announce it here. So you won't get all plugin updates. And the site you propose has to be mananged too, i don't know how much time the jQuery team has tracking different sites. I think with the jQuery UI they have put another load on their shoulders and their main concern should be jQuery, the site and now jQuery UI.

-- David

Alexandre Plennevaux schreef:
hi all,
This email presents a suggestion for a community tool, maybe it's already under preparation, AFAIK, it is not. (but myjquery.com is already taken so maybe...) Discovering with lust and pleasure the update to 1.2.1 this morning i realized the recurring complain about how to keep track of updates of jquery and jquery plugins. I personally use about 30 plugins in all varieties across my projects Yet there is a potential solution that should help and has also a great statistical potential (so marketing return for jquery): solution name: myJquery.com myJquery.com is a splashpage for developers, allowing them to specify which plugins they use (and maybe even allowing them to create groups of plugins, one group per project they work on). It would be interfaced to the plugin repository. this would mean developers would login to their area and : - create a new project
- associate the plugins he uses in this project.
Now, plugin authors can update their plugins in the repository. Therefore, it is possible to have a "warning: update is available for plugin <pluginname>" displayed on the developer area page. He can then see in which of his projects he used it, and know where updates need to be done. This interface does not need to be clogged of "everything jquery", but only for tracking updates and personal projects. Am i making myself understandable? thank you for your attention, Alexandre