That is true, that is the correct behaviour, there was specific talk about
what you are expecting a bit ago and I can't remember the end discussion, it
may have even been on the dev list.  I will see if I can come across it.

Ultimately, you can do:

var $selected = Array();
$('.selected').each(function(){
$selected.push($(this).attr('rel'));