It's easy to test (I just did so in IE7).  More difficult than when
able to use FireBug, but we get by.  ;-)

Browse to http://plugins.learningjquery.com/cluetip/demo/ and click on
the "Examples" tab.  (Sorry don't know how to link directly to
Examples--or if it is even possible.)  Once you're looking at that
page, paste the following into the address bar:

javascript:alert($('a.basic:first').after('<select id="selma"

That needs to be on one line--and it will likely get broken up in
transit.  The alert() is simply to prevent IE from displaying [Object
object] (the return value for $.after()) all by itself in the document
area after adding the select element.

That script line will add a "select" dropdown right after the
"simplest example there is" link, and then hovering over that link
will put the ClueTip window right above the newly-added dropdown.

Presto!  Insta-test.  ^_^

HTH,
Pyro