i have a page where a form is submitted to the same page, using php
(no ajax). if the query that writes the data to the db is successful
it sets $marker = 1;

in the <head> of my page i then i have the code below, which tries to
achieve the "yellow fade" technique: a message appears to indicate
success and then slowly fades out. problem is that with the code
below, it appears for just a split second and then abruptly
disappears. could anyone tell me why and how to get this to work?

<? if ($marker == 1) { ?>
<script type="text/javascript">
         $(document).ready(function(){
         $("#nav").after("<span class='yellowFade'>Homepage updated!</
span>");
         $("span.yellowFade").fadeOut("slow");
         });
</script>