There is a cycle plugin, but I wonder if it can work on background images.
Maybe ask Mike, the author.
www.malsup.com/jquery/*cycle*/ <http://www.malsup.com/jquery/cycle/>

Otherwise you can use the pause plugin
http://blog.mythin.net/projects/jquery.php and just change thebackground.
$("div.container").css("background-image","bgimage" + randomNumber +
".jpg");

Personally, I love absolute positioning.  Use the cycle plugin with a
positioned element and put the nav and other elements positioned absolutely
above the cycling one.  You get the best of all worlds.

Glen