Well, a pixel could be a tiny dot or it could be 5mm. So, really,
isn't saying "font-size: 11px" proportional too?

It sounds like your friend needs a better screen magnifier. Increasing
just the font size in the browser is a hack.

The one build into OS X (see 'universal access' in system prefs) is
excellent. It just zooms the whole screen and everything on it (fonts,
divs, gifs, etc.).

-j