Is it possible to parse the HTML of an AJAX response and grab only a
certain piece of the response to be displayed by the caller?

Specifically, I'm trying to modify a page so that when I hover over a
certain set of links, a pop-up window is displayed with the link's
target in the pop-up.  The problem is that the URL is an entire
webpage, and I only want to display a certain piece of text from this
webpage.  Is it possible to traverse the AJAX response using selectors
so that I can grab a certain div class and display its text?