Have you already run through the stuff at jQuery Ajax Tutorials[1]?  I
thought that Akash Mehta's article[2] looked like a pretty good
sampling with lots of step-by-step stuff.  Older version of jQuery,
but pretty much all still applicable.

[1] http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials#Ajax
[2] http://www.sitepoint.com/article/ajax-jquery

~Pyro