I think you are measuring the combined time. Try this:

var xmltojson_start = new Date().getTime();
ret = $.xmlToJSON(responseXML);
var xmltojson_stop = new Date().getTime();

var template_start = new Date().getTime();
$('#output2').processTemplate(ret);
var template_stop = new Date().getTime();
          "\n\tXml to Json: " + (xmltojson_stop - xmltojson_start) +
          "\n\tTemplate Processing: " + (template_stop - template_start) +

--
Christopher Thatcher